I like to think of a writing conference as a conversation. Just like many common conversations, there is a predictable structure to the writing conference. I think it’s important for us to teach students about their role and our role in a conference. Tomorrow I have plan to do this in second grade (as I model for almost 20 teachers).
Here is my plan for a chart:
- Share your current writing work.
- Tell me what you’re doing as a writer.
- Tell me what you’re thinking as you work.
- Try new things as a writer.
- Ask questions about your writing work.
- Tell you what you’re doing well as a writer.
- Help you do something new as a writer.
- Check back with you to see how the new work is going.